There’s nothing worse than spending the whole night tossing and turning in an attempt to nod off.
And if sniffing lavender and counting sheep isn’t working for you, a new method that combines scent and sound to beat insomnia has launched and promises to have you drifting off within 24 minutes.
Calm.com, the popular meditation app, has launched a bedtime story narrated by Stephen Fry that they say will have you sleeping soundly in minutes.
The company challenge anyone to stay awake for all 24 minutes of its ‘sleep inducing masterpiece’ by Stephen Fry.
Listen to the bedtime story below…
The company has also launched a sleep mist to be spritzed on during the story, which tested over 1,000 formulations before arriving at the final blend – an elixir of lavender, chamomile clary sage and frankincense.
‘Insomnia is a modern epidemic and tens of millions of prescriptions for sleeping pills are written every year,’ said Michael Acton Smith, co-founder of Calm.
‘Mixing scent with storytelling is a powerful and natural new way to help racing minds drift off to sleep.’
Calm.com has launched a bedtime story narrated by Stephen Fry that they say will have you sleeping soundly in minutes
The new launch comes after shoppers and Reddit users raved about the power of an £8 ‘miracle’ body lotion they claim has helped them combat insomnia.
Lush’s Sleepy lotion was originally created last year as a limited-edition holiday exclusive but it was so popular that it’s been brought back as a permanent cosmetic.
Fans took to the review section, as well as Reddit, in their droves to comment on the power of the lavender flower and sweet tonka absolute-infused lotion.
Taking to the internet, one user revealed: ‘I sleep so much better with this body lotion. It’s so moisturising and has an amazing smell. Definitely my new favourite!’.
Another claimed it helped calm her nerves, too: ‘I used to take anxiety medication for 11 years and had to stop recently which was pretty terrible. But I found that using and smelling Sleepy can help my anxiety not be as bad.’
Others hailed it the one product that can actually help them through the worst of their nights, and others simply dubbed it ‘magic’.
So popular is the lotion that despite just being brought back, it’s already sold out online.
GET SOME ZZZ’S: CLEVER WAYS TO NOD OFF
1. Get up ASAP: Dr. Neil Stanley, who spoke toByrdie.co.uk, says that getting up and out of bed as soon as possible is the key to making it through the day with as much energy as possible.
2. Get some fresh air: He says it’s vital to open the windows and get fresh air first thing – as well as ensuring you have a big breakfast.
3. Get your to-do list done ASAP: You’re at your most productive first thing so he suggests powering through your to-do list as soon as possible and getting your hardest tasks out of the way early on.
4. Avoid too much caffeine: Whilst most people think that having a few coffees will perk them up, Dr Stanley says it’s advisable to avoid too much caffeine. He said: ‘If you drink too much caffeine, it actually becomes a sedative. When it comes to the side effects, there is a U-shaped curve: It will give you a boost, but then too much will have the reverse effect.’
5. Do some gentle exercise: The doctor also suggests getting up and going for a 20-minute walk to keep yourself as alert as possible. If you have time to fit in a gentle exercise class then he advises plumping for a yoga or Pilates class.